Well I’ve been a terrible blogger lately!
I’m currently sitting in my brother-in-law’s house in Renton, WA, where I’ll be staying until I can find an apartment. Between getting to know him and his wife, their 3 kids, and 2 dogs better, and figuring out where to find the nearest Ulta, I haven’t had much time to myself to do anything blog-related.
So for now, I’ll do a quick catch-up, and post more detailed stuff later:
1. The trip out here went really well. It sounds insane, but I think driving from Ohio to Washington alone was easier than if I had done it with D. It was great to have the time to myself, and to do some sightseeing along the way. If you follow me on Instagram, you may have seen some updates on where I went, but I’ll post more about that after I get through the hundreds of photos I need to edit!
2. Seattle so far is not exactly what I was expecting…but in a good way. It’s a lot smaller than people made it out to be, and everyone is much nicer than I was told to expect. It is actually making apartment hunting a bit daunting – there doesn’t seem to be too many places to avoid, which usually makes narrowing down a good neighborhood a little easier!
3. DON’T ASK ME HOW I LIKE THE WEATHER SO FAR. I like it just fine. It’s a lot like Ohio’s weather – sunny some days, rainy other days. It’s a little cooler, but I like that. I’ve stopped telling people I just moved here because I’ve been here a week and a half, and I’m already tired of explaining it. No, Seattle, your weather isn’t that unique – and please stop trying to convince me otherwise. And yes, I own an umbrella and rain boots – I’m a goddamned adult. In fact, I went to my niece’s soccer game yesterday and I’m pretty sure I came far better prepared than half the people there. I think I’ll be okay. 🙂
4. There are times I feel like I’ve stepped back into the 90s. It’s weird. Downtown Seattle also smells faintly of weed. That is also weird for me. I’m sure I’ll get over it. I’m sure I’ll get lynched on the internet for this, but it seems like a less-weird version of Portland.
5. I have played with Legos more in the past week than I have in the past 10 years, and haven’t watched any television with swearing in it. Living with a family of 3 kids is starting to get to me a little. I need low-grade jokes about sex, drugs, and shit in my life. Yes, of all the things I miss about not having my own apartment, it’s the lack of grown-up language. Oh, and ending my day with clothes that haven’t been covered in apple juice and dog hair. They’re amazing kids, and I’m having fun getting to bond with them…but man, I have a hard time not saying the word shit. I crave it, and I miss it. 😉
More details to come later, but for now, I need to go tackle a 3 year old and eat some lunch.
Hope everyone is doing well!